Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Big Adventure Backtracks to Nova Scotia

We visited the lighthouse at Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia. Can you see us? I'm waving at you.
Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy, Grandpa James. He's really old. He was the second Canadian to get off Noah's Ark, you know.

Peggys Cove is a pretty place. Lots of people catch fish for a living. I could be a fisherman when I grow up.

Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing. He's so newborn he doesn't have a tail. Chance doesn't even have teeth! He drinks chocolate owls' milk out of a bottle. I look after Chance, too. He's a handful!
Chance and me row a dory to shore. We didn't find any pirates or terrorists on the sea and that's good.
Guess what? Some of our pictures got lost but we found them! Now we can show you what we did in Farewell Nova Scotia.  When we got off the train in Halifax we visited Uncle Reid and Auntie Margaret. We went to Peggy's Cove. That's a village on St. Margaret's Bay, you know. It's a very pretty place but we didn't see Peggy. Maybe she wasn't home.

Chance gets stuck in a lobster trap.
Oh, no! Look at Chance! He's stuck! He tried to climb into a lobster trap. I said, "My son! Come out of there this instant! You're not a lobster!" Chance made little squeaky noises 'cuz he was stuck. I had to help him get out! Bear cubs don't belong in lobster traps. Honestly, Chance is a handful!


We helped Uncle Reid cut wood. Wood comes from trees and trees grow in the forest. When I was a wee little cub I used to think that wood came from Home Hardware. That's a store.


Now, I'm five. I go to the Scruffy Maple Day Care Centre. I learn lots of stuff like a tree really does grow in the forests. When it's all grown up it gets cut up into wood and then it goes to Home Hardware so people can buy it. I'm not sure how it gets there. Maybe the wood rides on the bus.

Wood is good for heating the house in the wintertime, you know. Wood keeps the house toasty warm when there's snow and it's cold outside. I could be a woodsman. That's a coureur des bois in French. It's a very good job, you know. I could chop down trees. I'd holler, "Timber!" so no one got hurt. Look! We chopped a lot of wood!


Chance thinks he's helping me but he's not. He climbed right up on the chopping block. The axe is very sharp. Chance could get hurt. Uncle Reid had to take him off the block. I might accidentally cut him in two. Grandpa James says if that happened, Chance would be my half brother. That would be awful!


Oh. Wait! Did you hear that? Grandpa James is hollering, "Where are my handsome bear cubs? Where are my Sons of Windsor? Where are my Princes of Ontario? That's me! Charles! That's Chance! We're handsome bear cubs. We're Sons of Windsor and Princes of Ontario! We gotta go find Grandpa James so we can get our ears tickled and our noses kissed.

This is me, Charles the Bear Cub saying, "Be good citizens. Be kind to friends and neighbours. Then you can eat Smarties and drink root beer. Oh! Wait! Come over to our house and play with us! We can go over to Uncle Reid and Auntie Margaret's house and they can play with us! Okay! Over and out!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The picture of the red buildings, is Lunenburg Nova Scotia. I lived there for many years. :)

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.