Friday, August 31, 2012

The Big Adventure Continues: Charles and Chance Visit Vernon's Antique Toy Shop

This is me, Charles and my newborn baby brother, Chance.
Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy, Grandpa  James. He's really old. He was the second Canadian to get off Noah's Ark, you know.
Uncle Vernon has lots of pretty cars in his toy shop.

 Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing. He's so newborn he only drinks chocolate owls' milk from his bottle. He climbs up things and gets stuck. I have to say, "My son! Come down from there this instant!" Then I have to help him get down, bless his little cotton socks. I look after Chance all the time. He's a handful!
Grandpa James writes about old cars (l) and Uncle Vernon (r) collects them and shows them to people.

Know where we are? We're in Swift Current, Newfoundland. We're visiting Uncle Vernon. We're visiting him at Vernon's Antique Toy Shop. That's a car museum. UncleVernon has a lot of pretty cars. They're all old cars. Grandpa James says they're antiques. Grandpa James must really be an antique too, 'cuz he's older than most  the cars!
This is one of Vernon's antique toys. It's a 1956 Monarch Richelieu. It's a convertible. You can tell 'cuz the top is down.

Uncle Vernon has lots of convertibles in his toy shop.  Convertible means the top comes down so we can ride in the sunshine. I like Mr. Sun, don't you? Convertibles are really pretty and lots of fun!
Here are some more of Uncle Vernon's antique toys. They're really big and lots of fun to ride in, you know.

Vernon has an important job, you know. He saves the old cars from being smushed up. He gets them all shiny and pretty, so they look like new. Sometimes he takes them places so people can see them. Grandpa James says Vernon is preserving history. I know what history is. It's stories about the Olden Days. We learn about history at the Scruffy Maple Day Care Centre. That's where I go to school.  There are lots of Olden Days stories at Uncle Vernon's!
These cars are called 'woodies' 'cuz they're made out of wood. I hope beavers don't find them 'cuz beavers eat wood, you know.

Oh. Wait! Did you hear that? James is hollering, "Where are my handsome bear cubs? Where are my Sons of Windsor? Where are my Princes of Ontario? That's me! Charles! That's Chance! We're handsome bear cubs. We're Sons of Windsor and Princes of Ontario! We gotta go find James so we can get our ears tickled and our noses kissed.
This convertible has its top up in case it snows, eh.

 This is me, Charles the Bear Cub saying, "Be good citizens. Be kind to friends and neighbours. Then you can eat Smarties and drink root beer. Oh! Wait! Come over to our house! We can go visit Uncle Vernon and see all of his pretty antique toys! He can take us for a ride! Okay! Over and out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.