Friday, September 7, 2012

The Big Adventure Continues: Charles and Chance Visit Bonavista

My T-shirt has the Newfoundland flag and a puffin on it, too!
Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy, Grandpa James. He's really old. He was the second Canadian to get off Noah's Ark, you know.

Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing. I look after Chance, too. He's a handful!
John Cabot visited Newfoundland in 1497. He must be as old as Grandpa James!

Know what? Chance and me are in Newfoundland and Labrador. That's in O Canada, you know. Today we're visiting Bonavista. John Cabot visited Bonavista a long time ago. He was captain of a ship. The ship was The Matthew.  Captain Cabot landed in Bonavista. He named it New Founde Land. Captain Cabot is still in Bonavista but I think he's from Away. 



Grandpa James got me a new T-shirt at the gift shop in Bonavista. It has the Newfoundland flag on it and a puffin, too. I like puffins a lot, don't you? Puffins are pretty and they make good friends.


When I play tag with Chance now I can I holler, "I'm a huffin'! I'm a puffin'! I'm-a gonna get you! Chance makes little squeaky noises 'cuz he's happy. I always catch him 'cuz he's so newborn he can't run very fast. I'm five. I'm the fastest runner at the Scruffy Maple Day  Care Centre, especially when I wear my Cat-in-the-Hat sox that my friend Tanner gave me.
I can help with laundry. My new T-shirt will get nice and clean and fluffy and dry in the Inglis.

I don't want to take off my new T-shirt. Grandpa James says if I don't let him wash it, he'll put me in the Inglis with the shirt! I know! I'll wear my Windsor T-shirt while mine gets washed. When I wear a T-shirt, I'm not bear naked. That's a pun, you know. 

Pineapple Crush  has its own Facebook page.

We get to drink pineapple Crush in Bonavista. I l-o-v-e pineapple Crush. It's yummy and that's one of the four food groups in Canada's Food Guide. The only place you can get pineapple Crush is in Newfoundland. We're gonna get some to take home with us!

We get to eat outside at the Bonavista Social Club.

We have lunch at the Bonavista Social Club. It's in Upper Amherst Cove. That's next door to Bonavista. You can't get lost 'cuz it's right on the ocean. They make very good pizza there and lots of other yummy foods, too. We get to eat outside in the sunshine. Grandpa James says everything tastes better when we eat it out-of-doors.

Now we're gonna go to the Garrick Theatre. It's a really big place. Auntie Juanita says 200 people can come here--and bear cubs, too. That's a lot of friends and buddies, you know. We have to here so we can see our buddies, Shannyganok and hear them sing.





Shannyganok is a band. They sing lots of old songs about Newfoundland. Chris tells funny stories, too. Know what? Chance and me sing. We have a band. I play a washtub bass and Chance is so newborn he just bangs on the tambourine. We sing songs for boys and girls. We sing for boys and girls at Children's Fest in Windsor.  Windsor is our home. We're from Away.

Shannyganok sings one our favouritest songs. They sing All Around the Circle. Bless their little cotton socks. We know that song! We can sing it with them!

Mark, Mike, Chris and Bob are our buddies.


 Oh. Wait! Did you hear that? Grandpa James is hollering, "Where are my handsome bear cubs? Where are my Sons of Windsor? Where are my Princes of Ontario? That's me! Charles! That's Chance! We're handsome bear cubs. We're Sons of Windsor and Princes of Ontario! We gotta go find Grandpa James so we can get our ears tickled and our noses kissed.

We wanna go inside the theatre and get good seats for the show. It' sold out, you know.

This is me, Charles the Bear Cub saying, "Be good citizens. Be kind to friends and neighbours. Then you can eat Smarties and drink pineapple Crush. Oh! Wait! Come over to our house! We can drink pineapple Crush and go to Bonavista and see our buddies, Shannyganock! Okay! Over and out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.