Friday, September 14, 2012

Olde Sandwich Towne Festival 2012

Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy, Grandpa James. He's really old. He was the second Canadian to get off Noah's Ark, you know.

Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing. I look after Chance, too. He's a handful!

Know what? We go to the Olde Sandwich Towne Festival. Well, the Olde Sandwich Towne Festival comes to us 'cuz we live here all year but the festival is only in September, right after I start school at the Scruffy Maple Day Care Centre. That's on Sandwich Street, too.

 The festival is extra special this year 'cuz of the Buy some tunnel of the war. I forget. It's a really big name and a long time ago. Grandpa James says it was a war and it started right here on Sandwich Street! Know what? People shouldn't fight. When they do, they should have to sit on the Time Out Chair and think about what they did.

Duke and Dolly are Belgian draft horses. They're brother and sister. Chance and me are brothers. It's nice to have family, eh.

Chance and me had lots of fun. Maggie and Dave get the police to put up signs. There are no cars 'cuz the street is blocked off. We got to drive a team of horses, too! I did the driving. Chance thinks he's helping but he's so newborn he doesn't know how. I am a good driver. I can say, "Giddyup!" and the Duke and Dolly move. They each weigh a tonne. That's a lot of horse! I wish Chance would move when I tell him. He doesn't weigh a whole kilo. Maybe I should holler, "Giddyup!" to Chance. I'll try it.

We helped with the yard sale for the Crosstown Players. We wished everyone "Happy Saint Sandwich Day!" and "Joyeuse Fete de St-Sandwich!"

Chance climbed into the basket! I have to get him out before someone tries to buy him! You can't sell little brothers, you know.
There is a parade. We l-o-v-e parades! There's even a bagpiper band. Grandpa James knows a riddle. Q: What's the difference between an onion and a bagpiper?
A: No one ever cries when you chop up a bagpiper.

I don't understand the riddle. Grandpa James says he'll explain it to me when I'm older. I'm pretty sure I'm old enough, now. I'm five, you know. That's pretty old.


Oh. Wait! Did you hear that? Grandpa James is hollering, "Where are my handsome bear cubs? Where are my Sons of Windsor? Where are my Princes of Ontario? That's me! Charles! That's Chance! We're handsome bear cubs. We're Sons of Windsor and Princes of Ontario! We gotta go find Grandpa James so we can get our ears tickled and our noses kissed.

 This is me, Charles the Bear Cub saying, "Be good citizens. Be kind to friends and neighbours. Then you can eat Smarties and drink root beer. Oh! Wait! Come over to our house and play with us! We can go to the Olde Sandwich Towne Festival together. We can play with Duke and Dolly, too! Okay! Over and out!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.