Sunday, February 13, 2011

Making Cards for St. Valentine's Day

Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy, James. He's really old. He was the second Canadian to get off Noah's Ark, you know.

Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing. I look after Chance, too. He's a handful! He climbs way high on things and can't get down. I have to help him. He's so little he doesn't even have any teeth. Chance drinks condensed owls' milk out of a bottle. I have teeth. I can eat Smarties but I always brush and frost my teeth when I'm done eating them 'cuz I don't want to get any cavities. Cavities aren't nice.

Know what we're doing? We're making St. Valentine's Day cards. They have hearts on them 'cuz St. Valentine is the boss of love. He has a helper, too. St. Valentine's helper is Cupid. They have a really big job to do and they're very busy 'cuz there's not enough love to go around, you know. That's why we're helping them by making these special cards. We're singing a song about love. It's pretty. Miss Jackie taught it to us at the Scruffy Maple Day Care Centre. She's a good singer. Know what? I think she might be a princess.

What the world needs now
Is love, sweet love
No not just for some
But for everyone
Lord we don't need another meadow
There are cornfields and wheatfields
Enough to grow
And there are sunbeams and moonbeams
Enough to shine
So listen, Lord
If you want to know

What the world needs now
Is love, sweet love
It's the only thing
That there's just too little of


This is how you make a heart. Fold your construction paper in half and cut it like this. When you unfold it, there's a heart in the centre! It's almost like magic! Then you glue the hearts to some more construction paper. Chance glued a heart on top of his head and he glued one on my head, too. He thinks he's helping but he's really not. I hope he doesn't try to eat the glue. It will stick to his tongue, you know. We can make lots and lots of hearts. We can make them in different colours, too.


Next we have to write a message in the card. Good thing I know all the letters in the alphabet. Then it will be all done and we can take it to Canada Post. We'll put stamps on the letters and put the cards in the mail. You'll tell me when you get yours, won't you?

Know why we put stamps on the cards? That's so they can get to your house. Stamps are little motors. Stamps make the letters move. I bet if f we put a lot of stamps the letter will go faster! Yeah! We'll put lots and lots of stamps on the letters!



This is what I wrote-
Roses r red
Violets r purple
I love you
Like maple surple.
THE END

I always write THE END, so you know I'm done.

Now we got the stamps on the letter. Chance and me can put the letter in the mail box.

Oh! Wait! We got to put something else on the letter. We have to put a dress on it, so the nice Postie knows which house to take it to. James will help us put a dress on the letter. I know what a dress is. It's where we live! We live at 22 Sparkle Road. Know what? two-two (toutou) is French for teddy bear. Good thing we live at 22 Sparkle Road, you know!

Look at Chance. Chance has climbed way up on top and wants to go inside the mail box. He wants to come to your house. He's silly. He doesn't even have any stamps on him. Chance will just be stuck in the box and get cold and hungry. Then he'll make little squawky noises 'cuz he's afraid. I'll rescue him. "My son! Come down from that mail box this instant!"

Oh. Wait! Did you hear that? James is hollering, "Where are my handsome bear cubs? Where are my Sons of Windsor? Where are my Princes of Ontario? That's me! Charles! That's Chance! We're handsome bear cubs. We're Sons of Windsor and Princes of Ontario! We gotta go find James so we can get our ears tickled and our noses kissed.

 This is me, Charles the Bear Cub saying, "Be good citizens. Make St. Valentine's Day cards and send love to all your friends and buddies. Then you can sing songs and eat Smarties and drink hot chocolate with newborn baby marshmallows on top. Oh!

Wait! Come over to our house and play with us! We can make St. Valentine's Day cards together! Okay! Over and out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.