Sunday, June 20, 2010

Father's Day

Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy, James. He's really old. He was the second Canadian to get off Noah's Ark, you know.

 Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing. I look after Chance, too. He's a handful! 

Know what? Today is Father's Day. Today we get to do nice things for our fathers. Chance and me don't have a father. Well, not a father bear. We have James. See, fathers aren't just relatives.  Real fathers love us, no matter what. James loves us with all his heart. That makes James our father, even if he doesn't look anything like us.

I know what fathers do. Fathers hold us tight us in the middle of the night when we wake up from bad dreams. Fathers sit with us when we're sick with Austrian measles. Fathers put us in the Time Out Chair when we do something we shouldn't. Fathers laugh with us while we sit in the big 'ole sugar maple out in the back yard and share a box of Smarties. Fathers help us make forts in the living room on rainy days. Fathers give us our baths and read our nighty-night story to us and hear our bedtime prayers before tucking us into bed.  Best of all, fathers hug us when we come running and they tickle our ears and kiss our noses and tell us we're handsome bear cubs.

Chance and me have a surprise for James. We worked on it all morning. We hid under the bed so he wouldn't see us make the surprise. We made a Father's Day card for James. It's a special card. It's a  heart made out of peanut butter. It says, "We love u James". I spelled out all the words with Smarties. Red ones. We saved all the red Smarties for a long time, you know. We're supposed to eat the red ones last. That's what the Smarties song says. We saved all of our red Smarties for this card. James always says, "Save the best for last!" Now he will know how much we love him. We love him  so much we gave him all our red Smarties!

Oh. Wait! Did you hear that? James is hollering, "Where are my handsome bear cubs? Where are my Sons of Windsor? Where are my Princes of Ontario? That's me! Charles! That's Chance! We're handsome bear cubs. We're Sons of Windsor and Princes of Ontario! We gotta go find James so we can get our ears tickled and our noses kissed. 

This is me, Charles the Bear Cub saying, "Be good citizens. Be nice to your father, no matter what shape or size or colour he is. Share Smarties and root beer with your father. Don't forget to tell him you love him.   Okay! Happy Father's Day!  Over and out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.