Sunday, December 13, 2009

100 Elephants


Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy,  James. He forgets things. He's really old. He was the second Canadian to get off Noah's Ark.   I have to look after him. Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing.

Look at us! We're playing Hide & Seek. Chance is "it." He has to hide his eyes and count to 100 but he's too little. I count for him. One elephant, two elephants, three elephants. I can count to 100 elephants you know. I'm five, now.

I'm gonna hide someplace Chance won't ever think of. I'm not sure where but I will. I know! I'll hide behind him! Know what? Chance thinks if he closes his eyes he's invisible but he's not.

James and me are Internet Poem Stars. We know a poem about elephants.

Once there was an elephant,
Who tried to use the telephant -
No! No! I mean an elephone
Who tried to use the telephone -
(Dear me! I am not certain quite
That even now I've got it right.)

Howe'er it was, he got his trunk
Entangled in the telephunk;
The more he tried to get it free,
The louder buzzed the telephee -
(I fear I'd better drop the song
Of elephop and telephong!)

-- Laura E. Richards

I wish I had an elephant friend. We'd have lots of fun! I wonder what elephants get for Christmas. I'll ask  James. I can hear him hollering, "Ho! Ho! Ho! Where's my handsome bear cubs? Where are the sons of Windsor? Where are the Princes of Ontario?" That's me! I'm a handsome bear cub! I'm a Son of Windsor. I'm a Prince of Ontario. Chance is, too! We're gonna put another sticker on the calendar. It's only 12 days before Santa and Merry Christmas come to our house! This is Charles the Bear Cub saying, "Good-bye for now! Be good citizens! Count 100 elephants! Over and out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.