Saturday, December 5, 2009

Saying 'Good-bye' to Tanner


Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy,  James. He is forgetful and old. He goes outside without his shoes, sometimes.   I have to look after him. Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing.

This is Chance and me with Tanner. He's a big 'ole yeller dog who lives with his friend Cassidy the bunny rabbit. They live with their buddies Jay and Shaun. Tanner is five, just like me. He's my very bestest friend.

Tanner was really sick. He went to sleep yesterday and stopped breathing. His life is finished. Grownups call it death.

Know what? I don't like death very much. Death is mean. It makes me hurt really bad inside. I wanted Tanner to get well and he couldn't. I cried. Chance cried.  James scooped us up on his lap for big hugs. We all rocked in the big rocking chair and cried together. We used up a whole box of tissues.

James says Tanner is at rest and the cancer can't hurt him anymore. I'm glad for that 'cuz he was real sick. I'm going to miss Tanner a lot. We can't play together but  James says as long as I live I will always remember the fun Tanner and me had digging holes or climbing maple trees, eating Smarties, marching proud down the avenue in our rainbow colours or racing our bikes up and down Sandwich Street. I will tell new friends and buddies about Tanner.

When spring comes we're gonna plant some flowers in his honour. Tanner would like that. Know what? I'm gonna plant a box of Smarties for him, too.

This is me, Charles the very saddest bear cub on Sparkle Road. Tanner will always be my first bestest friend. Good-bye, Tanner. I'm glad you were my friend. I won't ever forget you, honest!

1 comment:

Wayne McLean said...

Tanner was a blessing to all. He is at rest and peace with his creator.
I am so moved by this site and seeing Tanner.

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.