Saturday, September 26, 2009

Nurse Charles & the Steadyscope


Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I'm five. live on Sparkle Road with my buddy,  James. We're a family. Now we're a family of three 'cuz I found a wee little cubby in a basket on our doorstep the other day. We can keep him. He's my baby brother. His name is Chance.

Know why his name is Chance? 'Cuz every time I would ask  James if we could get a baby brother, he'd say, "Fat chance, Charles. You're a handful, already." So, cubby's name is Chance.

I could be a nurse, you know. Nurses make us well. Nurse Blanche let me use her steadyscope to listen Chance's heart. I know what a steadyscope is. It's headphones but not for music. It's for listening to the noises our bodies make. I put them on my ears and then I hold the round part to Cubby's chest. I can hear his little heart beating! I say, "Take a deep breath, Chance" and he does. I can hear him breathe, too!

Nurse Blanche is nice. She gives us Band-Aids with Thomas the Tank Engine and Spiderman on them when we get boo-boos. She puts a thermometer in our mouths and takes our temperatures, too. She weighs us. Chance weighs two kilos. That's not very much but he's a newborn cubby. He doesn't even have a tail, yet. Know how much I weigh? I weigh 19 kilos. That's a lot!

Okay. I gotta go, now. Chance and me and  James are gonna make a tent in the living room and play 'cuz it's raining outside.  We get to eat lunch in the tent. We'll eat peanut butter and pineapple licorice sandwiches. We will drink apple juice right out of the box. I have to drink with two paws cuz I don't have thumbs. I hope I grow thumbs when I'm older.

Chance doesn't have any teeth. He drinks condensed owls' milk from his bottle but I will put peanut butter and pineapple licorice in there, too. Then he will grow up to be as big as me! Know what? If you come over to our house, you can help us build a tent and have lunch with us, too! Just tell Mr. Bus Driver to let you off at Mill and Sandwich Street. Yeah! Okay! See you, soon! This is me, Charles the Bear Cub, saying 'over and out!' Oh. Wait. I'm saying 'good-bye-for Chance cuz he can't talk. He just makes little squeaky noises when he's happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.