Thursday, September 24, 2009

Naming Cubby


Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy, James. He's old and forgetful, so I have to look after him. He used to look after me when I was a cubby.

Know what? Someone left a newborn cubby in a basket on our doorstep. I think it was God 'cuz I prayed for a little brother. Cubby is really tiny. He doesn't have any teeth and he doesn't even have a tail! Cubby can't talk. He makes squeaky noises when he's happy and he makes little squawky noises when he's not happy, like when he poos in his diaper.

Every time I asked James if I could have a little brother, he would laugh, tickle my ears, kiss my nose and say, "Fat chance, Charles. You're a handful." Now, James says we can keep cubby. I get to name him. Know what Cubby's name is? It's Chance. Yeah. His name is Chance 'cuz James always said, "Fat chance" when I asked for a brother. Chance means "lucky" in French. We're lucky to have him. Now we're a family of three! There's me, Charles, Chance the cubby and James.

I will be a really good brother and teach Chance everything like how to make peanut butter and licorice sandwiches. I will teach him to eat wallermelons and Smarties. Oh. Wait! We will climb trees and dig holes in the back yard. Know what? I get to feed Chance his breakfast. He drinks condensed owls' milk out of a bottle. I put peanut butter in the bottle, too. I sure hope he likes it! Did you hear that? James is hollering, "Where's my handsome bear cubs? Where are my Sons of Windsor? Where are my Princes of Ontario?" That's us, Charles and Chance! We're gonna go find him so he can tickle our ears, kiss our noses and make us laugh right out loud. Well, I'll laugh out loud. Chance will make happy, squeaky noises. This is us, Charles and Chance, saying, 'over and out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.