Thursday, March 4, 2010

Payphone

Hi. I'm Charles the Bear Cub. You know me. I live on Sparkle Road with my buddy, James. He's old and can't remember things like where he put his wallet, so I have to look after him. Oh. Wait! Chance lives with us, too. He's a newborn cubby someone left in a basket on our doorstep. He's a wee little thing.

Know what? Chance and me found a public telephone. We got 50 cents, If we put it in the slot we could call somebody.   We could call home and see if we're there! Oh! Wait! We could call Queen Elizabeth or our friend Cassidy the bunny rabbit. We could invite them over to our house so we can build a snow fort.   I know how to answer the phone. I have telephone manners. I can say, "With whom am I speaking?" I'm an internet poem star, you know.  know a poem about the telephone.

Eletelephony
Once there was an elephant,
Who tried to use the telephant-
No! no! I mean an elephone
Who tried to use the telephone
(Dear me! I am not certain quite
That even now I’ve got it right.)
Howe’er it was, he got his trunk
Entangled in the telephunk:
The more he tried to get it free,
The louder buzzed the telephee-
(I fear I’d better drop the song
Of elephop and telephong!)
-~Laura E. Richards

Oh! The phone is ringing! I can answer it. "Hello. Charles the Bear Cub speaking."  It's James! He says, "Where are my handsome bear cubs? Where are my Sons of Windsor? What happened to my Princes of Ontario? That's me, Charles! I'm a handsome bear cub. I'm a Son of Windsor. I'm a Prince of Ontario! So is Chance! We gotta get down from here and find James so we can play in the snow! This is me, Charles the Bear Cub saying, "Be good citizens! Use your best phone manners. Good citizens get to eat gummy worms in their porridge. Over and out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let Charles know what you think about today's thoughts by posting a comment here.